All right. Look.
I associate feminism with choice. In other words, you want to have a career? Girl, go for it. You want to raise a million babies? Girl, go for it. You want to do both? Girl, etc. etc.
You want to wear outfits that adhere to the bare minimum of decency laws? I wholly support your right to do so, and I will climb a ladder and drop-kick anyone who tries to shame you or harm you. You want to wear modest, body-covering outfits that adhere to your religion’s rules? Do it, and eff anyone who withers and snivels about how you need to be “enlightened,” as if you’re a captive orca that needs to be rehabilitated for life at sea.
So it’s not the unrealistic proportions or silly outfits that get me when I see female game characters. It’s how said outfits are seemingly dragged out in the stupidest instances. Like women are incapable of stopping, thinking, and dressing according to their surroundings.
"Oop!" says Quiet, "I’ll be spending some time in the Afghan desert. It gets blisteringly hot during the day, freezing cold at night, and the sun can literally kill me. Better pack my slinky bra and battle thong!*"
See also: Chainmail bikinis worn by warrior women in the frozen wastes.
I ain’t even mad that some video game women are designed like this. I’m just pissed that,excepting a tiny percentage, they’re all designed like adult equivalents of four-year-olds on a Princess role-play kick (“NO! I wanna wear my tiara to granny’s funeral!”).
Dudes complain a lot about how men are objectified as much as women in games. I think Walky’s rebuttal holds up well, but YMMV. But to repeat myself, it isn’t even about objectification for me at this point. It’s about how male characters are, without fail, dressed properly for the battle at hand, and women characters consistently do their dragon-slaying while wearing a thong and a glorified undershirt that wouldn’t prevent an 11-year-old’s breasts from spilling everywhere, never mind a full-grown woman with DDDDDDDD-cups.
All right, sorry, that’s my bluh-bluh-bluh of the day. I’ll fade away ‘til Sony and Nintendo bring out their dead.
(*For the purpose of making a half-comedic, half-irritated point, Quiet temporarily rediscovered her voice)
- trialragnarok likes this
- olddude82 reblogged this from nadiaoxford
- ryanceee reblogged this from nadiaoxford
- tonyb15 reblogged this from nadiaoxford
- tonyb15 likes this
- kelvaro likes this
- aleryn27 likes this
- ginablogs reblogged this from nadiaoxford
- odorunara reblogged this from nadiaoxford and added:
- exosujushineelover likes this
- lavendeln likes this
- sconesetpetitfourebiscotti reblogged this from blackwolfx
- sconesetpetitfourebiscotti likes this
- blackwolfx reblogged this from kyidyl
- kyidyl reblogged this from trials-of-socrates
- cyaziris likes this
- geno9999 likes this
- maslab reblogged this from vmthecoyote and added:
- vmthecoyote reblogged this from trials-of-socrates and added:
- rayraymoo likes this
- trials-of-socrates reblogged this from envirion
- trials-of-socrates likes this
- serindrana likes this
- envirion reblogged this from nadiaoxford
- purrquaza likes this
- hollywood-voodoo likes this
- guttermech likes this
- deathcomes4u likes this
- deathcomes4u reblogged this from robotsandfrippary
- numerosix likes this
- peacockoceanangel reblogged this from kokkoryuha
- peacockoceanangel likes this
- zorua-poni likes this
- supreme-overlord-of-nothing likes this
- buddha-buns likes this
- terak-zomb likes this
- herzinth likes this
- himesan likes this
- lurkerwithout reblogged this from latchkeykingdom
- lurkerwithout likes this
- sylviasharestoomuch reblogged this from robotsandfrippary and added:
- mariahgem likes this
- state-of-controlled-euphoria reblogged this from robotsandfrippary
- merwifs likes this
- doriandawes likes this
- past3lhippie likes this
- three-of-clubsandwich reblogged this from conkerz
- lolitapopsickle reblogged this from therealloonzoldick
- latchkeykingdom likes this
- latchkeykingdom reblogged this from servobob